Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Eco Spring - Fabulous Products You MUST Try

Check out what our sexy guest blogger Sarah has to say this week!

What better way to say good-bye to the winter blues and hello to warm, spring days than with fresh and natural products for the face and body! I had the good fortune of trying a smorgasbord of delicious and eco-friendly products, all made with natural ingredients. Many women may not realize when they slather creams on their bodies and make-up on their faces what chemicals actually lie beneath. No, I’m not talking about a Harrison Ford suspense movie of the same name; I’m talking about the endless list of artificial ingredients that are listed on the labels of some of our favorite products, like lipstick, for example. Word has it that many popular brands of lipstick actually contain traces of lead! Well, let me lead you away from the lead with some great green products that’ll get you in the mood … for spring that is (Such a wandering imagination!)

For the body…

J.R. Watkins Natural Apothecary Shea Butter Body Cream

This thick and creamy body cream is 99.10% natural and is free of parabens, dyes and phthalates. The sample I tried, Lemon Cream, smelled as good as a slice of lemon meringue pie, but it won’t add a single calorie to your sexy figure. It’s made from shea and cocoa butters and is blended with other natural oils. It’s great for the dry rough patches you get on your hands and feet during the winter. It’s gentle enough for kids too. Priced under $10.00, this cream is one of my absolute favorites!

Femme by Olivier Shower Gel and Body Scrub

Femme is the all-natural skin care line from Olivier, New York. Femme bath products are made from oils found in nature, such as olive, rosemary, and coconut. According to their website, their products for women promote healthy, younger-looking skin. The shower gel has a light, clean smell and lathers up nicely. The scrub smells like coconut and is great for sloughing off dead skin cells. My legs feel silky smooth and are beach ready now! I highly recommend that everyone start scrubbing.

Bath and Body Naturals Roll-On Perfume

Not to be confused with the similar-sounding Bath and Body Works, whose products are full of artificial fragrances, this roll-on perfume is 100% natural and made from pure, essential oils, such as jojoba, sandalwood and orange. Because the fragrances are made from all-natural ingredients, the scents may need to be applied a bit more frequently to keep the scent strong, but they’re totally worth toting in your handbag. Honestly, these alluring perfumes are a better pick-me up than a cup of Java! I applied the scents to my wrists about 3 to 4 times per day and with each roll, I could feel my senses perk up. The first scent that I sampled was “Comfort.” It’s a scent I’d recommend for the daytime because it’s welcoming and warm. The second scent I tried was “Passion.” This fragrance has a rich and complex smell that is perfect to wear on a date night.

For the Face…

Ecotools Bamboo Five Piece Brush Set

This five-piece brush set, another of my new favorites, is made from natural and recycled materials. The handles are made of bamboo, a renewable resource. The bristles are SOOO soft. Made from a synthetic fiber called taklon, I’m happy to announce that these brushes are animal cruelty-free. You’ll find these brushes to be perfect for applying mineral make-up, and they come in a natural cotton and hemp linen bag for easy storage and accessibility.

For the Lips…

Burt’s Bees Super Shiny Natural Lip Gloss


This shiny, moisturizing lip gloss comes in four shades and is everything an eco lip gloss should be: all-natural and free of any animal testing, paraben/phthalates and petrochemicals. According to the Burt’s Bees website, the featured ingredient is sweet almond oil, which absorbs quickly and is very emollient. Other ingredients include sunflower and citrus oils. The gloss I tried, Sweet Pink, smelled and tasted like oranges- yum!

Jane Iredale PureMoist Lip Color SPF 18

When I first opened my tube of Jane Iredale PureMoist lipstick, I wasn’t sure that the baby pink color, called “Erin” was quite right for me. However, I knew I couldn’t pass judgment on the shade without actually trying it. Fortunately I gave it a go, and to my surprise, the pink turned out to be very subtle, almost sheer. This shade is ideal for the daytime when you just want to add a hint of color and shine. It also has a pleasantly faint smell of minty vanilla. Made with fewer chemicals than traditional brands, Jane Iredale’s lipstick offers SPF 18 and contains edible zinc oxide and antioxidants. Who knew all that could be in a tube of lipstick?!

Buddha Nose Organic Lemongrass Ginger Lime Lip Balm

In addition to being made with certified organic ingredients, Buddha Nose goes on extremely smooth and adds a nice sheen to your lips. The reason this tube works wonders is because it includes ingredients like jojoba oil, organic beeswax and hemp seed oil.

There is definitely an aroma and taste of ginger (the root, not the ale)… so if you’re a yogi, this balm might be ideal for you because the scent will open your air passages. There’s also a slight tingling sensation that you’ll feel after applying it. This feeling can be attributed to the power of the ginger root.

I hope you enjoy revving up for spring as much as I do! Let me know if you’ve found any great products I should try.

xoxo,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment